top of page

Iowa History Daily: April 4 - Iowa School for the Blind

Iowa History Daily: On April 4, 1853 the Iowa Asylum for the Blind opened in Iowa City under the direction of founder Samuel Bacon. Made nationally famous by Laura Ingalls Wilder’s “Little House on the Prairie,” after the graduation of the noted author’s sister Mary in 1889, the school provided education and other services for the visually impaired until the doors closed for good in 2020.



Samuel Bacon, blinded by a bout with Scarlet Fever at the age of 11, dedicated his life to the education of the visually impaired. On January 18, 1853, the Iowa General Assembly voted “An act to establish an Asylum for the Blind.” By April, twenty-three pupils made up the first class admitted to the institution. Bacon led the school and advocated in 1854 the state should change the name from “Asylum for the Blind” to “Institution for the Instruction of the Blind.” In addition to receiving instruction, students manufactured goods to offset costs associated with the school.



With fifty students in attendance by 1856, the school needed to expand. A donation of land near Vinton convinced the Governing Board to relocate the school in 1862. With a curriculum consisting of academic subjects, music, and industrial training, the school thrived. Many individuals from other states including Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the Dakotas joined the ranks of visually impaired Iowans at the school. In 1872, the school changed names to Iowa College for the Blind.



A custodial care institution from founding until 1911, the school gained official accreditation from the Iowa Board of Education in that year. The school started to teach Braille in 1920, again changed names to Iowa School for the Blind in 1926, and eventually changed names yet again, to the Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School, in 1951. For 162 years, the school formed the bedrock of Vinton, Iowa. In 2020, the Iowa Board of Regents sold the 11 building, 48-acre campus to the City of Vinton for $1, as a three-year long process to shift the way in which the Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School educated students. #IowaHistoryDaily #IowaHistoryCalendar #IowaOTD



Commentaires


bottom of page